GOSHEN, MA – Goshen Fire Chief Sue Labrie was invited to stop in at this months Council on Aging luncheon on Tuesday to share some cooking tips with those in attendance.
Cooking fires are the leading cause of house fires and house fire injuries – especially with people over the age of 65 who are twice as likely to die in a home fire. People over the age of 85 are 4 times as likely to die in a home fire.
With these sobering statistics in mind, the focus of the presentation centered around two main themes:
“Stand by your pan.” and “Put a lid on it!”
Using a kitchen fire safety prop acquired by the GFD through a Student Awareness of Fire Education (SAFE) grant, proper cooking habits were demonstrated while prevention measures were reinforced.
- Cover a pan or grease fire with a lid and turn off the heat.
- Don’t move a burning pan.
- Don’t use water or a fire extinguisher on a grease fire.
- Don’t leave food, grease or oils cooking on the stove top unattended.
- Wear short or tight-fitting sleeves when cooking.
- Keep pot handles turned inward to prevent spills.
- Create a three-foot child-free zone around the stove.
- Keep pets away from the stove while cooking.
- Keep combustible items like pot holders, towels, and paper or plastic bags away from burners.
- Don’t put metal in a microwave. Utensils, aluminum foil or twist-tie wraps can cause a fire.
- Use caution with microwaved food and liquid. They can become very hot.
- Unplug appliances like toasters and coffee makers when not in use.
- Don’t use the oven for storage.
Digital timers were handed out to use as a reminder that something’s on their stove or in the oven. Oven mitts and potholders were also distributed to the audience along with what to do with them in case of emergency.