Residents of the Town of Goshen are required to follow Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) Regulation 310 CMR: DEP 7.07 when conducting any open burning. Those regulations read in part:
- Open burning season is from January 15th – May 1st and is dependent on atmospheric conditions.
- A permit must be obtained before open burning is allowed. Click on the link below and follow the written instructions on the page.
- Online permits may be obtained between 8:30AM and 1PM on the day you wish to burn.
- There is no fee for the permit.
- Burning is only allowed between 10:00 am and 4:00 pm. Burning outside of these times may result in a fire department response and a fine.
- Open burning must be done at least 75 feet from all dwellings.
- Permit is for Brush Only (defined as branches that are 4″ in diameter or less). All other materials are illegal. No leaves, grass, hay, stumps, building debris or any other materials are allowed to be burned.
- Any open fire must be attended at all times by the permit holder.
- You must have an appropriate means to extinguish an open air fire completely at the end of the day or if you are requested to extinguish the fire by the Fire Department.
- The permit is good for 1 Day only.